The statement below was drafted by the our Political Action Committee and approved by Librarians’ Guild membership.
We, the librarians of the Los Angeles Public Library and members of the Librarians Guild (AFSCME Local 2626), welcome everyone to the library.
- We serve all community members, among them people of color, immigrants (including refugees and the undocumented), LGBTQIA people, people with disabilities, and the most vulnerable in our communities.
- We offer programs, services and educational resources that transform communities, open minds, and promote inclusion and diversity.
- We commit to making the library a sanctuary for all people, in their common and unique needs, across differences of race, religion, disability, political belief, gender expression, sexuality, and immigration status.
- We actively provide a safe space where facts are presented and defended and all viewpoints are protected, including that of the press.
- We defend the privacy of our patrons from those who would ask us to violate it.